Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: Altec cast frame types...

  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2006
    Location
    Rural NY
    Posts
    3,901
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

    Post

    I think most of us just commonly refer to them as "small frame" or "large frame", the latter being the more modern version suitable for front or rear mounting to the baffle.

    There might have been a few instances and period of time where speakers of the same model number could be found with either frame. If memory serves, i think i've seen 416-8A in both small and large frame versions, and maybe the 420 biflex too.

    I think you're also correct that the old style "small frame" was abandoned sometime in the early/mid '70s.

  2. #2
    Inactive Member Sounder's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 5th, 2006
    Posts
    83
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I know what you mean about confusing frames. I believe that one way to describe the frames is that some of the older ones (with curved supports) tend to be "stamped" from heavy gauge metal while newer, heavier ones are "cast" and have the sharp angles in the supports.

    So, maybe stamped versus cast metal would be the way to describe them. Now, if there is a way to tell which speakers have which frame, I dunno, and would defer to the many, savier folks on this forum.

    John forums

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member Russnohio's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 8th, 2007
    Posts
    215
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I thank you guys for your opinions. True, the early frames are designed for rear-mounting only. Had'nt thought of that! I thought I'd post to find out if Altec users themselves (wether Altec itself did or not)....had a common way of describing between the two types. I guess one could say either of the following: Pre-'75/Post-'75...."flat leg/bent-leg"...."Large-frame/small-frame"...."Thin-leg/thick-leg", etc, etc.

    Russ

  4. #4
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    You can ID them from a front-only view by the gaskets. The early frames used light colored cork or paper (1/2" wide) gaskets, the later ones used black, rubbery composite (1" wide) gaskets.

  5. #5
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    &%#@^*(__)^% POS Hostboard server! forums

    <font color="#FFFFFF" size="1">[ February 22, 2008 03:46 PM: Message edited by: bfish ]</font>

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Altec  cast  frame types...


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Post

    The new frame was around 1973 or so. It was primarily to facilitate front mounting.

    You cannot determine frame by model number. The frames were "phased in" , which meant as old frames became used up, new ones were used. As has been posted a number of models came with both types.

    I use "small" vs "large" or "old style" vs new. Either way should get the point across.

    I noted one post here though that seemed to think all early frames were stamped- not so. Most Altecs with stamped frames are right after WW 2 when aluminum was scarce. Note I'm not including lesser expensive Hi-Fi models here.

  7. #7
    Inactive Member dgwojo's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 22nd, 2003
    Posts
    172
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I always refer to them by size, 16" = large basket, 15" = small basket, Dave.

  8. #8
    Inactive Member gamalot's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 2nd, 2006
    Posts
    535
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    It seems we all have our own way to describe the same frames!
    I refer to them as wide or narrow flange. Wide can be mounted front or back and the narrows were designed for rear maounting only.

    The narrow flanges also have those irritating support ribs on the rear side that really complicate the mounting if you want to front load them.

    Another thing I notice but can't say for sure on all the 16" Wide flanges is the holes are elongated slots while all the narrows have just holes.

    I have to give credit where it is due and DGWOJO taught me these things quite a while back! LOL

    Gary

  9. #9
    Senior Hostboard Member Russnohio's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 8th, 2007
    Posts
    215
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I'm sorry if you find this a goofy question but it has nagged at me for years. Why is there not (or IS there)....a proper name, or code# to differentiate between the two distinct frame styles Altec has produced throughout the years? Example: the 604E frame has 4 thin flat legs. The 604-8G has 4 THICK bent legs. So, is the loudspeakers model number in fact, that which indicates the difference? What is confusing is that the same model number can sometimes have either frame style. See, I was talking to a local seller on the phone some time ago about an old Altec (possibly Altec) 15" speaker he had for sell. He had NO model number. I ask if the frame legs were flat or bent and the poor man had no idea what I was talking about and began to loose patience with me. I might be wrong, but I'm thinking that all frames POST 1975 had thich-bent-square legs. So, would it be that the year of make is that which differentiates the two types?

    If so, then I've answered my own question, no?


    Thanks for our pateince! forums
    Russ

  10. #10
    Senior Hostboard Member Audio_by_Goodwill's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 9th, 2004
    Location
    West Michigan
    Posts
    2,157
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by Sounder:
    ....So, maybe stamped versus cast metal would be the way to describe them.
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">That would work great.... if it were true. I've seen a few Altec drivers (in pictures) that look like stamped steel. However, If your talking about the typical Altec drivers that we talk about here... they're all cast..... both styles. Have you not seen the older style in person? The ribs around the backside of the mounting flange could not possibly have been stamped..... although, I admit, I think the earliest frames lacked them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.